"...one of the most concise and useful books on the art of egg tempera painting... should be on the bookshelf of every serious artist."
"I can't tell you how wonderful your manual is. I'm in the process of re-reading and highlighting passages as I write this... I found your writing to be exceptionally easy to read and helpful with respect to clarifying many of the issues which remained unclear to me about tempera technique. You seemed to have anticipated most of the questions I would ask and have answered them. The wealth of resource information you offer is incredible."
"I've read many writings on egg tempera over the years, and yours is not only complete, but is simple and direct so that I believe the greenest beginner in this medium could learn from it."
"Your book is beautifully presented, addresses the most important issues of ground and painting, and is just wonderful... it is precisely the guidance I have sought."
"...a treasure trove of wonderful egg tempera information."
"The best book on tempera I've found so far."
"I wanted to thank you for your fabulous book! It is simply wonderful, it was easy to follow but left nothing out, answering all the questions I was so desperately looking for... I couldn't put it down!"
Egg Tempera Painting by Koo Schadler
A comprehensive guide to painting in egg tempera for both the beginning and advanced artist. Self published by the author; primarily black and white printing with some color pages, spiral bound, 180 pages. The book includes:
- A detailed description of how to make true gesso panels from scratch
- A variety of ways in which to work in egg tempera - using brushes, sponges, glazing, scumbling, and more
- How to create smooth transitions in egg tempera, illustrated with color images
- A description of painting a portrait in egg tempera
- An updated and expanded chapter on how to finish an egg tempera painting, including oil painting over tempera and varnishing
- Over twenty appendices.
Table of Contents
- Introduction: What is Egg Tempera Painting?
- History of Egg Tempera Painting
- Materials for Egg Tempera
- Gesso (including Recipe, Instructions, Problems and Solutions)
- Painting with Egg Tempera
- Painting a Portrait in Egg Tempera
- Finishing an Egg Tempera Painting
- Pigment Characteristics
- Particulars of My Palette
- Suggested Pallettes and Prices
- Lifting, Digging Holes, Making Repairs
- Egg Tempera Painting Chart
- Egg Tempera Misconceptions & The Renaissance
- Luminosity & Glazes
- Tempera Grassa
- Cadmiums in Traditional Painting
- The Transition from Oil to Tempera
- Applying Cloth to a Panel
- Applying Gold Leaf Lines & Basic Gilding
- Impasto Paint and Egg Tempera
- Aluminum Panels
- Material Sources and Suppliers
- Recommended Reading
- Other Resources
- List of Paintings
- About the Author
How to Order Egg Tempera Painting by Koo Schadler
As I continue to add more information and pages, printing costs and postage go up. Overseas shipping is now up to $25 per book. Hence the unfortunate but necessary price increases.
1. Order with a credit card through PayPal by clicking on the button for where
you need the order shipped. All prices include shipping and taxes.
NOTE: Books to addresses in the United States are sent via U.S. media mail; please provide a USPS mailing address.
A. Send Egg Tempera Painting to a
U.S. address = $35.00
B. Send Egg Tempera Painting to a Canadian address
C. Send Egg Tempera Painting to an overseas address
2. Or mail a check, money order, or international money order
Attn: Egg Tempera Book Order
562 Alstead Center Road
Alstead, NH 03602